Chef Colin Burslem
Location: Fairmont Vancouver Airport
1. Where do you currently work and how long have you been there?
Two years at Fairmont Vancouver Airport and 11 years with Fairmont.
2. Where were you before and what were you doing?
In my 11 years with Fairmont, I have worked in a variety of culinary roles from apprentice chef to executive chef.
I’m lucky to have had the opportunity to work in many different places including Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Fairmont Myakoba Mexico, Fairmont Olympic Hotel Seattle and Fairmont Waterfront Hotel. During my career I have also worked for Four Seasons Hotels and Marriott Hotels International.
3. How long have you been wearing Chef Works gear?
4. What is your favourite item from our collections?
The entire Urban Apron Collection.
5. Are you involved in any charitable organizations?
I am involved with a golf tournament through a local church which raises money for initiatives abroad. Last year we raised $450,000 to free slaves in India. This year we are building a hospital in Iraq for women and children affected by ISIS. Fairmont Vancouver Airport is also dedicated to supporting local organizations and we hold annual dining events in support of Prostate Cancer Canada, Canuck Place Children’s Hospice and Make A Wish Foundation.
6. Other than cooking, what are some of your hobbies?
Anything on the water, Scotch and spending time with my wife and kids.
7. What gives you inspiration for your dishes?
Shopping local farm markets and reading.
8. What is your next goal for yourself?
Maybe open an artisan butcher shop that has a hot component tied into it.
9. Where do you see yourself in five years?
Hopefully on a beach drinking a beer!
10. What’s your favourite ingredient to use and why?
All Mushrooms. The versatility and flavor from them allows me to use them in multiple dishes, multiple preparations and provides a killer umami flavor.
Follow Chef Colin Burslem on social media!