Chef Cole Glendinning
1. Where do you hang your apron, so-to-speak?
Executive Chef, Flower & Wolf, Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire.
2. How would you describe your kitchen?
We are focused on bold flavors, fresh ingredients, Albertan and Canadian
producers and a highly engaged team of cooks who want to develop into
better chefs and people.
3. Favourite piece of Chef Works gear?
4. What was your first cooking job?
I started working in kitchens at 12, washing dishes for my best friend’s Dad’s restaurant in Haliburton, Ontario. I fell in love with the team aspect of the
kitchen and the rush.
5. Where do you get your cooking inspiration?
I am truly inspired by the people around me — my loved ones, my peers and my team members. Happy chefs making great food keeps me going. We are a serious bunch when it comes to taking good care of our guests, but I like to ensure that we are all humble and happy doing so.
6. What would you say is your specialty dish?
I love making potato gnocchi. Getting right in there with my hands is one part therapy, and two parts tasty.
My favorite thing to eat with it is 1) fresh peas, mushrooms, ricotta and lemon in the summer, and 2) braised pork ragù in the winter.
7. What is the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
Meal worms — they are actually quite tasty when crunchy and seasoned with a little spice! I like them with berbere.
8. What is your favourite things to do when not cooking?
Traveling, camping and fly fishing for sure! There is nothing like the sound of only a river in the background with no questions or printers for distractions and a feisty trout on the dry fly.
9. What is the latest project you are currently working on?
We just opened Flower & Wolf here at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire on June 11, 2018. This has been a lot of hard work, but the results are amazing and we are super-happy so far.
10. Please tell your all-time favourite culinary tip:
Continue to love what you do! Cooking is a labor of love and if you don’t love it — I’m not offended — just find something that you do love. Never stop learning and developing. Watching people grow is my all-time favorite reward.
Follow Chef Cole Glendinning on social media!